Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Commencement 2006

Two years ago I wondered at my sis's Commencement whether I will get to wear the gown and mortar board and walk down that carpeted stage when my time comes. At that time, my own commencement seemed so far away, with 4 more semesters to go through and many more exams and assignments to tackle.

Things were really different then; we were about to get a first taste of fighting for our modules via the ballott as well as the experience of taking 5 4-credit modules in one semester. We also faced the challenge of 'competing' for grades against seniors, exchange students and students taking their LLM. There were also the trying times of taking 'suicide courses', some which I had the luck to drop and some which I chose to take because it was deemed a 'necessary evil'. There were the research-intensive, the time-consuming and the mind-confounding, but as a balance there were also modules that were fun, enjoyable and memorable.

Through such uncharted waters we sailed through, having a fair share of both smooth sailing and rough weather. And now I get to don the blue graduation gown and walk the few time-honoured steps that heralds the end of one chapter of my life while opening the door to the next. Standing at attention while the National Anthem was played, I felt the pomp and glory of this rite of passage, as well as the pride and sense of accomplishment in having made it this far.

To my dearest parents and godparents, this is for you. The greatest honor and glory of this day goes to you all. I hope that I have made you all proud.

And in a blur, it was over. It is kind of funny how moments in history can be so brief. But then again, compared to the experience of how the 'O' and 'A' level certificates were collected, there was indeed sufficient pomp and circumstance accorded today that is befitting of the degree conferred.

If only there was more time to soak in the significance of today; pity there's no holiday for the studying.

Nevertheless, I have walked the walk today.

DreamCatcher

No comments: