Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Class Ceiling

Ever had that feeling when you look at someone and you just know that all you can have is that chance to say 'hi' and the knowledge that she exists? Although she shares the same mundane dimensions of space and time, it is like having a glance into another dimension, another timeline, another reality. Like a space or time traveller from another world accidentally stumbling upon mine.

It somehow is a bit like drinking Vodka Sprite with a layer of red wine at the bottom. It starts off pleasant and sweet, getting a bit heady if you drink too much or too fast at one go and at the end of it, there is that slightly bitter aftertaste of "Not in this life, not ever." that lingers.

A bittersweet cocktail comprising of irony, envy, realisation, a dash of regret and a twist of resignation.

Does an ambition have to be lofty for it to be an ambition? Can't an ambition be simple? Just to lead a simple and happy life with the basic essentials, isn't that an ambition as well? While some go for status, for accomplishments, for luxury, a happy, simple and contented life is all that I ask for; and it is a luxury for me to have a roof over my head and some basic furniture. Carpets, sofas, display stands and ornaments may look nice, but they gather dust, take up space and are a chore to clean. Positions of authority and power are prestigious, but they restrict your freedom of choice and movement, and require sacrifices that I am not willing to make.

And so I get to see the 'class ceiling' that separates me from some people, the difference in expectations, goals, ideology, interests, lifestyles and habits. I get to appreciate the realisation that I am proverbially "out of my league", meeting people who are of a different class of their own.

Call me 'useless' or even 'incompetent', but I will argue that being simplistic is also a form of ambition, and a noble one for its humility. I do not deny that I am a simpleton with naive dreams bordering on foolishness, but that does not mean that what I seek is impossible, impractical or unattainable.

"Unattainable." The word I first came to appreciate 2 years ago and now here I am tasting it again, albeit with a more insightful appreciation of the matter. Some things are just not meant to be and that's life for you, and I don't mean this in a sad way. Ultimately, to each his own.

The more important question is whether there are people who think the same way as me who are also compatible enough to walk this path with me together.

There is a class ceiling, and class here is not restricted to wealth or materialism. But coming to think about it, it's more of a thing created by people who think that they are in a league of their own.

Hmm... can simplicity be capable of being an elitist mentality? That is an interesting question.

DreamCatcher

No comments: