Found this quote from the novelisation of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:
Charles Stanforth to Indiana Jones: You know, when you're young you spend all your time thinking, "Who will I be?" And then for years you're busy shouting at the world, "This is who I am!" But lately I've been wondering - after I'm gone, "Who will they say I was?"
And then Indiana Jones thinks to himself: Who will they say I was? Will there be anyone in my life even to ask that question?
(Incidentally, the novelisation was done by James Rollins, a good writer with notable works such as "Black Order", "Amazonia", "The Judas Strain", "Deep Fathom" and "Map of Bones", all of which I have read and enjoyed.)
Have went through the "Who will I be", although there's still the mid-career "Who will I be" to be answered later on. Have spent years telling the world "This is who I am" and searching for acceptance.
Thankfully there still is time before I have to start seriously thinking about "Who will they say I was", unless fate otherwise decrees.
If I do manage to live a long, fruitful and rewarding life, then at the end "Who will they say I was" and "Will there be anyone in my life even to ask that question?" shouldn't be issues to ponder. After all, at the end of life comes death and once past that, does it all really matter? It's not as if I will become some bad figure that will be remembered and cursed for generations to come, nor will I become some key figure that will be scrutinised or even appreciated beyond my life and that of my friends.
With the passing of time, we will all become forgotten as those who still remember us pass on too. Nothing unnatural about this, nor is there anything to feel sad about, if everything was in accordance with the natural order of things.
It seems that the real problem is dying as a forgotten person, or living alone after all those around you have passed on, leaving you as the sole keeper of memories that no one else shares.
DreamCatcher
Monday, July 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment