Thursday, March 30, 2006

Incessant Drilling

I seriously wonder how my friend survives living in an HDB flat that is only 50m away from an above-ground MRT station. If I can still hear at times the PA system of the MRT station that is at least 300m away from my house, and the sound of trains entering/leaving the station when it's quite quiet, what about an MRT platform right next to your doorstep?

I wanted to do quite a bit of things today, but fascinatingly, the amount of noise pollution at my place has reached a level that makes concentrating on anything that is not entertaining at all impossible. And therefore, this leaves out any studying/revision exercise which I thought I could do, at least a little, today.

The MRT platform has not been the source of my woe, instead, what I have is a combination of multiple sources of noise:

1. Renovation works at neighbouring blocks in front of AND behind my house
2. A Taoist temple festivity at the field next to my house
3. Grass-cutting directly below my house

The resulting din is remarkable - I couldn't do anything except for simple cut-and-paste and formatting of my electronic notes. More or less, my brain is now numb by the noise. The only good thing is that at least it is still early in terms of exams (not really but still alright...) and that hopefully such activities will not happen during the actual 'critical period'. And no, I can't really study in school or another place. I am already too used to shutting myself at home to do revision all these years.

What exactly am I thinking when I write this? Good question. I am not even really thinking right now, which again shows exactly how noisy it is at my place now.

On the other hand, at least it stops me from thinking about the present and incoming horrors that make me so stressed.

DreamCatcher

No comments: