In tribute to perhaps the most significant concert in the history of HCCO, I present <<天籁回音>>, an orchestral arrangement based on "Echoes of Tian Lai", a piano impromptu created in memory of the June 2004 TLHY concert. At 8 minutes and 240-odd bars, this is my first attempt at an 'original' arrangement for a large orchestra.
<<天籁回音>> is a collage of themes from the TLHY repertoire and is formed by the interweaving of the main motifs from 6 songs: '春', '飞天', '冬', '公主', '难忘的泼水节' and '阿眉族舞曲'. Written in a concerto structure, this piece depicts the bittersweet feeling of having performed a memorable concert; although happy because of the performance, one is also filled with sadness that the event is over. As the instruments are packed, the stage cleared and the concert banner lowered, all that remains is nothing but an empty stage and memories of the concert. However, sitting there amongst the empty stall seats, staring at that empty stage I imagined that I could still hear the music play, littles snatches of the songs echoing from the walls of the concert hall. Music never dies, it merely fades into haunting echoes that resonate in the heartstrings. And that is the beauty of <<天籁回音>>.
Alas, I am no Mozart. What I write is only ink on paper. We just have to see how it actually sounds and refine it. I just hope that in the end it still will turn out to be a performable piece rather than an exercise in musical arrangement.
DreamCatcher
Saturday, August 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment