Thursday, November 03, 2005

Escape Velocity

A friend said to me that Life contains many lessons to be learnt, lessons that will just keep repeating and repeating until you finally learn the moral behind the story.

And so life is cyclic, until you learn how to break out of the circle.

Kinda like thinking out of the box, isn't it?

Of course this isn't going to be an easy process; as the wonderful Joel Lee (Assistant Director of Graduate Studies, black belt in karate and proponent of the classic discourse on "I want the Orange" - another story for another time) said in Negotiation (which is another long story and possibly proof that randomness is not random at all): "first there is unconscious incompetence, followed by conscious incompetence, then conscious competence and ultimately unconscious competence."

In the past, I never saw the cycle for myself. Things just happened. But now I see the loop, the potential triggers and pitfalls sustaining it.

Now comes the tricky part: breaking out of the circle.

Call it inertia or momentum, but after so many years of remaining in the loop it is not going to be easy to stop moving in circles. Like the pull of Earth's gravitational field, old practices and thoughts are hard to unlearn in the process of learning new, and different, habits.

And there's the ever present danger of falling back on old habits.

From conscious incompetence to conscious competence: just how on Earth do I get there? The human mind does not operate on machine logic, it is emotional and therefore prone to moments of irrationality, moments of weakness.

"Whatever Life throws at you, learn to catch it and throw it back."

It has been a long time since I last played hantam bola.

DreamCatcher

1 comment:

Ruijie said...

before u throw it back n after u catch it, make it into sth much better!!

Jia you!